Moroccan Lemon Chicken Stew (Chicken Tagine)
½ a Heavenly Moroccan Lemon, pulp removed, rinsed under cold tap water, and the rind chopped into small bits
2 Large Onions, diced finely
4 cloves of garlic, diced finely
2 tsp of Cumin powder
2 tsp of Coriander powder
2 tsp of fresh ginger grated or 1 tsp of powdered ginger
2 tsp of fresh turmeric, grated or 1 tsp of powdered turmeric
A few strands of saffron (optional)
Large bunch of fresh coriander
Salt and pepper
5 Chicken Legs, cut at the thigh
100g of dried apricots or dates
A little oil
¾ Cup of Chicken Stock or ¾ cup of water with ½ a chicken stock cube
- Salt & pepper the chicken then fry in a little oil to brown over medium high heat. Don’t cook through.
- Fry the onions, garlic, with ginger & turmeric till fragrant, in the left over oil.
- Put everything, including the stock, the rind of the Moroccan Lemon and the dried apricots/dates into the pot and turn the heat to low then simmer for about 1 hour.
- Or you could bake it in an oven proof dish for 1 hour, covered.
- Squeeze in the Lemon Juice.
- Eat and mop up the delicious juices with a hearty bread.